Does the phrase “Tax Preparation” cause you anxiety and make you question your ability to add Lines A-D and then subtract that sum from Line E? Well, take a deep breath—help is available.
FREE tax preparation programs around the Capital Region are currently being co-sponsored by non-profits to offer help to individuals and families with annual incomes below $50,000. Numerous agencies and community groups are hosting these services. Dial 2-1-1 to find a site close to you. Also, to check your availability for Earned Income Tax Credit and other savings visit http://www.mybenefits.ny.gov/.
Benefits of these tax preparation services:
- FREE tax preparation services from IRS-certified volunteer preparers
- 10 day turn-around on refunds with direct deposit
- Savings bonds available
- Convenient locations with flexible hours
To bring with you to an appointment:
- Photo identification for the person filing the tax return
- W-2, 1099 and other IRS forms where appropriate
- Bank account information and routing numbers for direct deposit
- 2010 tax return (if available)
- 2008 and 2010 tax returns if you received the 2008 first-time homebuyer credit
- Social Security card for each person listed on your tax form
- Childcare documentation
- Unemployment forms